The one thing most lacking in our nation, in our communities, in our homes is LEADERSHIP.
Specifically – Servant Leadership is the ideal. John Wooden described it this way:
“Who shall be first among you, shall be your servant, who puts focus on followers and makes their dreams come true, who does not say get going – and says let’s go and leads the way, who glorifies team spirit and duplicates this in others, who helps others grow big because the bigger and better the team the better they all are, who has faith in people, who believes in them, and trusts them, who has a sense of humour, who is interested in finding the best way, who looks for lofty goals and extends the skills and talents and legacy of all the team“
Irrespective of technology, ZOOM, working from home, shopping online, electronic banking – and so on – people need to build relationships with other humans. People look for and need “A Leader”.
Unfortunately so many people in leadership positions do not understand what is expected of them or have the Emotional Intelligence to deliver what is expected of them.
The reality is that in your business or corporation you have 5 different generations making up your team/s. So the one common link with all of them is LEADERSHIP.
Some interesting facts about Leadership:
- Leaders lead by example – someone is always watching the leader to see how they talk, interact with team members, how they dress, are they punctual, are they confident, do they know where the business is headed and more.
- A Leader is always on stage and people mimic the leader
- We all learn from seeing others, watching how things are done, taking in the signals given out by the leader
- Leaders need to take an interest in others – ask questions about them and understand them.
- Leaders are prepared to ‘get down and dirty’ when the occasion requires. A leader be seen to be prepared to get into the trenches with team members – at appropriate times.
- Leaders need to understand that BEHAVIOUR never lies – so ACTIONS will ultimately be the INSTRUCTION.
- Leaders should have the ability to get extraordinary achievement out of ordinary people. Remember there is Greatness in the Ordinary of life.
- The Culture of a business/home/corporation – reflects the Leader.
“I no longer listen to what people say – I just watch what they do” …Winston Churchill
Let us have a brief look at what defines (in general) each of the 5 Generations.
A Servant Leader needs to know the questions to ask of each Generation so as to understand how they can all work together toward the same vision
THE BUILDERS – BORN 1930-1945 – THE TRADITIONALISTS, THE SILENT GENERATION
|Mantra||“Be grateful you have a Job”|
|Technology||Radio, V8 engines, air travel|
|Culture Values||Rule compliance Respect for authority disciplined|
|Communication||Land line, one on one, memo, letter|
|Motivation||Respect – valued, needed, take their advice seriously|
|Strengths||Dedicated, Loyal, good attitude, patient|
BABY BOOMERS – BORN 1945 – 1964
|Mantra||“I deserve better”|
|Technology||TV, audio cassettes, radio, microwave|
|Culture Values||Ambitious, competitive, growth minded, optimistic|
|Communication||Landline, mobile, texting, call anytime|
|Motivation||Nice office, bonuses, things that show status and success|
|Strengths||Driven, efficient, loyal, democratic, Visionaries, responsible|
GENERATION X – BORN 1965 – 1980
|Mantra||“Keep it real”|
|Technology||VCR, Walkman, PC|
|Culture Values||Anti-establishment, self-reliant, self-starters,|
|Communication||Emil, text, calls only at work|
|Motivation||Freedom to work on own terms, recognition, authentic|
|Strengths||Independent, fast paced, results driven, eager to learn|
GENERATION Y – BORN 1981 – 1994
|Mantra||“Life is a Buffet”|
|Technology||Internet, email, SMS, DVD, Xbox, iPod|
|Culture Values||Open minded, confident, community conscious, entitled|
|Communication||Social channels, text with emojis, less reliant on emails|
|Motivation||Meaningful work, serving people, desire change, feedback|
|Strengths||Ambitious, tenacious, goal orientated, tolerant, collaborative|
GENERATION Z – BORN AFTER 1995
|Mantra||“I’m coping and hoping”|
|Technology||MacBook, iPad, Google, FB, You Tube, Wii|
|Culture Values||Optimistic, self-assured, money motivated, image conscious|
|Communication||On a screen, instant, with pictures|
|Motivation||Let them do it on a screen and their way|
|Strengths||Inclusive, curious, self-motivated, resourceful, creative|
Good Servant Leadership is critical to culture, to home/business/community environment and to efficiency and the outcomes required to build a great society.
Seen any lately? Bet you need to give it some thought!
Servant Leadership = Leadership + Service.
SERVICE requires the display of Character and Virtue – in particular:
– INTEGRITY, HONESTY, AUTHENTICITY, HUMILITY AND CONFIDENCE.